“It happens only in India!” This would be our standard response if anyone questions any strange behaviour in our society. For being a part of the society we have got accustomed to these issues but when we see ourselves from outside, we would know how ridiculous we have become.
Of late some examples have come to notice into the public eye, which would confirm our ridiculousness of our civil society.
1. Judges taking exams to become Judges of High Court were caught COPYING from their coaching material.
2. Home Minister P Chidambaram saying that he is more concerned about ‘saffron’ terror and not bracketing it with just terrorism. Why the religious hues?
3. An Indian chess champion like Viswanathan Anand being questioned on his nationality.
4. Yet another Indian getting convicted on rape charges in Australia.
5. Yet another report about the low quality of works in the stadia built for the Commonwealth Games.
6. Charges of sexual assault on Maoist leaders from the women cadre of the Maoists themselves.
7. The start of a reality TV show which discusses family issues of households with none other than drama-queen Rakhi Sawant as a judge.
The events which call for ridicule are growing bigger by the day and we have to introspect ourselves and ask “where have we gone wrong?” or is it that we have immuned ourselves to these kind of things?